CELEBRATING 10 YEARS!!!
A Mini Black-Box Rehearsal Theatre in
Vancouver's Beautiful Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood
Hello! Thank you for contacting the Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret Studio!
We are happy to hear from you! If you email us via the link above, this is the auto-reply you will receive and all the information you will need to consider and complete a booking. Please read through it all before moving forward, because we will not respond to email inquiries. At the end of this auto-reply is a detailed set of instructions for how to book, however we require that all renters read the information here first. Thanks!!
The studio is in the middle stages of our very exciting RENOVATIONS thanks to Heritage Canada, BC Arts Council and City of Vancouver. The renovations are currently in progress. This means our studio is closed for June, July and August 2023. We will re-open in September for events & bookings!
Any bookings include access to the following:
- The existing wood floor space, surrounded by black curtains
- The bathroom and accessible path to the bathroom
- Access to all the folding chairs and tables.
- Multiple Bluetooth speakers that you can connect to
- Lights that are controlled from switches on the wall in the rentable space
Bookings do NOT include access to anything else in the space, including:
- The mezzanine level
- Costumes or Props
- The lobby, which may or may not be full of DFC supplies. This is used as a through-zone only
- The area under the mezzanine with lowered ceilings
- Any lights aside from the ones that are controlled by the switches on the walls.
- We are only legally allowed to have up to 30 people in the studio, aside from our permitted events, The Swing Out. We are looking into applying for an exception to this.
Bookings during Business Hours:
- Business hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm
- Bookings may be made during these hours for $20/hour
- Business hour bookings at $20/hour are not fully private bookings. The curtain can be closed between the Wood Floor space where you are renting, and the Lobby. Up to 4 DFC staff may be working in a reasonably quiet way in either the Lobby or the Mezzanine during your booking.
- If you would like to book private bookings during business hours, that is available for $25/hour. Please just make note of that option when you send the text to confirm your booking.
Bookings during Evenings and Weekends:
- These are any hours that are NOT Monday to Friday 9-5pm
- Bookings may be made during these hours for $25/hour
- These bookings are fully private bookings. No one else we be in the space during your booking.
- 10 pm is the Building Quiet Hour. We cannot make noise after 10 pm according to the building rules (not our own rules). Being present and working quietly in the studio is okay after 10 pm, but any amplified music or groups talking is not possible. If you are renting after 10 pm you will have to talk to Kat directly on the phone to ensure that this is understood.
- No smoking is allowed directly outside our unit.
- Loud talking in the evening hours directly outside our unit will cause the neighbours to complain
- If any of these rules are broken it will threaten the continuation of our operations at the beloved DFC studio and so it is extremely important to us that these rules are strictly followed, and any breaking of these rules will result in not being permitted to rent from us again. Please note these are not rules that we want to impose. They are rules that we must operate under to ensure the longevity of our lease.
- There is an option to apply to have an event here. This means you can use the stage, cabaret seating and the sound system and have a show!
- Our venue is allowed to have events involving up to 30 people only, even with a liquor license. It's not us, it's a bylaw restriction, but we are planning to apply for a change.
- Event rentals are $200 and include 5 hours of time, from 5:30pm - 10:30 pm. The event itself must end by 10 pm sharp, and it is absolutely necessary that noise stops at 10 pm. The booking continues until 10:30 pm only to allow for load out.
- You must call Kat at 604-700-8528 to talk over your event before booking.
- If you'd like the DFC to serve liquor we may be able to do that. Ask us on the phone if you want that option. Access to the bar area is for DFC use only because of our supplies. If you want to serve liquor you can set up your own bar using our tables and chairs, and need a license to serve and "Serving It Right" staff. If you want to rent the use of our bar, you can do that for an extra fee which pays for the time it takes us to pack our own supplies away and restore them after your event.
-There's a minimum booking fee of $100 each time you book, which can of course cover multiple dates and times. All dates and times that you are booking must be sent at the same time as your payment, as we do not "bank" any hours. If your booking doesn't come up to $100 then the minimum booking fee will need to be paid instead.
- We do not book in blocks of time that are less than 1 hour in length.
- Increments of 15 minutes are not permitted. Bookings must start and end on either an hour or a half hour of the clock. For example 2:15pm is not a booking time, but 2:30pm is!
- If you have breaks of one hour or less between your bookings then the time in between bookings must be added to your total.
- Entering the space before your booking begins, or staying in the space after your booking ends is not permitted because there may be other users in the space before and after you. Of course if everyone doesn't mind, then we don't mind, but please don't assume, and please don't enter before your booking begins. For example, this means that if a program you are running begins at 6:30 pm you will need to start your booking at 6 pm if you need any time to set up. Thanks!
If you have never seen the DFC Studio before:
- You must see the space BEFORE you book, to know that it meets your needs, and that you like it!
- One key aspect that we need any renters to understand is that because of the on-going work in the space, it is not free and clear of smells or dust. It is literally the Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret, and while it will work for most people, if anyone has allergies then it will likely not work for them.
- The floor space may need to be swept before you use it, as we only clean on a biweekly schedule and so renters may need to sweep periodically.
- The way to view the space is to come in on Tuesday evening between 7 and 10 pm. These are open hours to see the space, and it will only take about 5 minutes to see all of it. It is drop in only and we will not respond to messages asking to solidify the time. You will ask for Kat Single-Dain when you arrive.
- The address is 2050 Scotia Street, and you must enter through the NORTH ALLEYWAY, beside the Loading Zone. Our door is the only glass door in the area.
- We are not doing any refunds or booking changes at this time. All bookings are final.
- We keep our rates low by minimizing backend administration on the rentals management. Our goal is to keep the studio accessible, and minimizing the cost of administration is one way in which we can ensure that.
- Only book when you are really ready, as there are no changes or refunds offered.
- If you do not need a booking you have made, sending a text to 604 700 8528 to let us know is very much appreciated. Thanks!
How to Book:
- Follow this link to view the calendar below to see what times are available. We will not respond to questions about availability because everything is updated live on this calendar HERE: https://firstname.lastname@example.org&ctz=America/Vancouver
- When you have chosen your dates you will send all of the following at the same time:
1. An email responding to this auto-reply just to show that you have read through it all!
2. An e-transfer to email@example.com with full payment of the booking, and
3. A text to Kat Single-Dain at 604 700 8528 with the dates, times and name of the booking.
- Your booking is not confirmed without payment. We do not offer holds and operate on a first come first serve basis.
- You will receive a door code the day before your booking. If you do not receive a door code by the morning of your booking, then please text or call Kat at 604 700 8528.
-The door code is used to get in and out of the studio.
- When you leave the studio you must text Kat at 604 700 8528 just to confirm that the door is locked. We have had 3 separate issues with renters forgetting to lock the door and so we've had to include this as a policy moving forward. There is a penalty of $30 for not texting at the end of your booking to confirm that the door is locked, because this means that an on-call staff of the DFC must come down to the studio to confirm this in person, as we cannot risk leaving the studio open and vulnerable to theft moving forward.
That's it!! You made it! Thank you so much for reading the whole document and now you have all the info!
Kat Single-Dain and the DFC team!
We wish to acknowledge that we gratefully live and work on unceded territory of the Coast Salish peoples–The Sḵwx̱wú7mesh/Squamish, Stó:lō and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Tsleil-Waututh and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm/Musqueam Nations. We aim to be good stewards of this land and bring people together through the practice of theater, dance, comedy and art.
For your information, the aspects of the renovation that will be happening in the near future/present are the following:
- Extended wood floor into the Lobby area
- Kitchenette where the bar is
- Second bathroom next to existing bathroom
The Dusty Flower Shop is a Mini Black-Box Theatre
Surrounded by Floor-to-Ceiling Black Curtains
NOW TAKING RESERVATIONS
400 Square Foot
Sprung Dance Floor
Full Length Mirror
Movable Wings & Risers
Mats & Stage Furniture
Track Lighting &
Simple Threatrical Lighting
The Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret Society is proud to announce the opening of a new mini black box rehearsal theatre in Vancouver's beautiful Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood. The Flowershop is open for rentals and other opportunities. Contact us for more information or to book a rental.