CELEBRATING 10 YEARS!!!
A Mini Black-Box Rehearsal Theatre in
Vancouver's Beautiful Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood
REHEARSE, REFINE, PLAY
Perfect for shows, band performances, workshops, and more!
Now Taking Reservations
400 Square Foot
Sprung Wood Dance Floor (now with more than 2x the floor space)
Full-Length Mirror (6 ft. tall x 15 ft. wide)
All New Lighting
New Entrance and Dedicated
The Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret Society is proud to announce the opening of a new mini black box rehearsal theatre in Vancouver's beautiful Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood. The studio is open for rentals and other opportunities. Contact us for more information or to book a rental.
Disco LED stage floor (these cost thousands to rent on their own!)
Behringer Snake for Instruments
Track Lighting and Simple Theatrical Lighting
Wheelchair Accessible Space and Washroom
WANT TO BOOK OUR LIGHT-UP FLOOR FOR YOUR NEXT EVENT?
Cost: $800 for an evening rental
-When you rent our light-up floor, we drop it off at your location if it's within Vancouver.
-We will set up the floor any time after noon on the day and pick it up by 1 am (pickup after 1 am will have an extra charge)
-Every event is different, so if you need a different time, contact us and let's about it!
See the floor in action!
Below is the auto-reply you will receive if you email us via the button above. It has all the information you will need to consider and complete a booking. Please read through it all before moving forward, because we will not respond to email inquiries. At the end of this auto-reply is a detailed set of instructions for how to book, however, we require that all renters read the information here first. Thanks!
**A special note about rentals from October 1 to November 15** The Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret Society is the chosen nonprofit society by the city to run the production of the Parade of Lost Souls festival. Because this is a very important time for the DFC, the parade must be prioritized over all other activities. With this being the case, the studio is still available for rentals. However, during this period, there will be production materials and supplies stored in the rental area along the edges of the space. There may also be additional dust tracked in during this time. If you require a very clean and clear space, then we do not recommend renting during this time. However, if this works for you, then we welcome rentals during the Parade of Lost Souls production!
Any bookings include access to the following:
- The existing wood floor space, surrounded by black curtains (wheelchair accessible)
- The bathroom and wheelchair-accessible path to the bathroom
- Access to all the folding chairs and tables.
- Multiple Bluetooth speakers that you can connect to
- Lights that are controlled by switches on the wall in the rentable space
Bookings do NOT include access to anything else in the space, including:
- The mezzanine level
- Costumes or Props
- The lobby, which may or may not be full of DFC supplies. This is used as a through-zone only
- The area under the mezzanine with lowered ceilings
- Any lights aside from the ones that are controlled by the switches on the walls.
- We are only legally allowed to have up to 30 people in the studio, aside from our permitted event, The Swing Out. We are looking into applying for an exception to this.
Bookings during Business Hours:
- Business hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm
- Bookings may be made during these hours for $20/hour
- Business hour bookings at $20/hour are not fully private bookings. The curtain can be closed between the Wood Floor space where you are renting, and the Lobby. Up to 4 DFC staff may be working in a reasonably quiet way in either the Lobby or the Mezzanine during your booking.
- If you would like to book private bookings during business hours, that is available for $25/hour. With private bookings, no one will enter the studio during your time. Please just make note of that option when you send the text to confirm your booking.
Bookings during Evenings and Weekends:
- These are any hours that are NOT Monday to Friday 9-5pm
- Bookings may be made during these hours for $25/hour for non-private rental (up to 5 DFC contractors may enter the space and work simultaneously), and $30/hour for private rental (no one will enter the studio during your time).
- 10 pm is the Building Quiet Hour. We cannot make noise after 10 pm according to the building rules (not our own rules). Talking outside of our unit is prohibited after 10 pm. Being present and working quietly in the studio is okay after 10 pm, but any amplified music or groups talking is not possible. If you are renting after 10 pm you will have to talk to Kat directly on the phone to ensure that this is understood.
-While acting and expression are welcomed and encouraged, the studio must balance this with respect for the neighbours, as they can often hear through the walls. Because of this, and to avoid neighbour complaints, excessive or frequent yelling during booking periods is not permitted.
- No smoking is allowed directly outside our unit.
-The Dusty Flowerpot Studio is housed in a residential building. As such, residential entitlement to "quiet enjoyment" is a priority. The responsibilities of event organizers include minimizing noise impact on neighbours, including making sure that the noise levels comply with City of Vancouver Noise Control By-Law 6555. All event activities must take place inside the building (with no loud talking in the evening hours directly outside our unit), and renters are asked to direct speakers away from doors and windows and to minimize sound amplification. Renters may want to consider setting up multiple speakers throughout the studio instead of one speaker to minimize noise impact.
- If any of these rules are broken it will threaten the continuation of our operations at the beloved DFC studio and so it is extremely important to us that these rules are strictly followed, and any breaking of these rules will result in not being permitted to rent from us again. Please note these are not rules that we want to impose. They are rules that we must operate under to ensure the longevity of our lease.
Event Rentals/Small-Scale Events (30 people or less):
-Perfect for intimate gatherings and shows! Please note that regular event rentals have a 30-person limit.
-With our Event Rentals package, you get access to the stage with our sound setup and a DFC staff member who will help you with the basic sound setup.
-The Event Rentals package is $250 and includes 4 hours of time, from 6 pm-10 pm. If you need more time to set up, you can book additional time at $25 per hour. The booking also includes an additional 30 minutes for load-out (from 10-10:30 pm).
**If you wish to book on a Saturday, the rental package costs $300 (this includes a $50 add-on fee).
-You will also get access to the bar (the same DFC staff member who helped you with sound setup will attend).
-There are 3 options for drinks:
-Drinks can be for sale for your guests with all the proceeds going to the Dusty Flowerpot.
-Alternatively, the Dusty Flowerpot can provide drinks free of charge to your guests for a fee of $8 per drink.
- You may also host your own bartender for a $100 charge (valid Serving It Right certificate and liquor license required).
Event Rentals Over 30 People:
-Please get in touch with us for rates and details by sending an email to email@example.com.
-There's a minimum booking fee of $100 each time you book, which can of course cover multiple dates and times. All dates and times that you are booking must be sent at the same time as your payment, as we do not "bank" any hours. If your booking doesn't come up to $100 then the minimum booking fee will need to be paid instead.
- We do not book in blocks of time that are less than 1 hour in length.
- Increments of 15 minutes are not permitted. Bookings must start and end on either an hour or a half hour of the clock. For example 2:15pm is not a booking time, but 2:30pm is!
- If you have breaks of one hour or less between your bookings then the time in between bookings must be added to your total.
- Entering the space before your booking begins, or staying in the space after your booking ends is not permitted because there may be other users in the space before and after you. Of course if everyone doesn't mind, then we don't mind, but please don't assume, and please don't enter before your booking begins. For example, this means that if a program you are running begins at 6:30 pm you will need to start your booking at 6 pm if you need any time to set up. Thanks!
If you have never seen the DFC Studio before:
- You must see the space BEFORE you book, to know that it meets your needs, and that you like it!
- One key aspect that we need any renters to understand is that because of the on-going work in the space, it is not free and clear of smells or dust. It is literally the Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret, and while it will work for most people, if anyone has allergies then it will likely not work for them.
- The floor space may need to be swept before you use it, as we only clean on a biweekly schedule and so renters may need to sweep periodically.
- The way to view the space is to come in on Tuesday evening between 7 and 10 pm. These are open hours to see the space, and it will only take about 5 minutes to see all of it. It is drop-in only and we will not respond to messages asking to solidify the time. You will ask for Kat Single-Dain when you arrive.
- The address is 2050 Scotia Street, and you must enter through the NORTH ALLEYWAY, beside the Loading Zone. Our door is the only glass door in the area.
-Both the studio and studio bathroom are wheelchair accessible.
- We are not doing any refunds or booking changes at this time. All bookings are final.
- We keep our rates low by minimizing backend administration on the rentals management. Our goal is to keep the studio accessible, and minimizing the cost of administration is one way in which we can ensure that.
- Only book when you are really ready, as there are no changes or refunds offered.
- If you do not need a booking you have made, sending a text to 604 700 8528 to let us know is very much appreciated. Thanks!
How to Book:
- Follow this link to view the calendar below to see what times are available. We will not respond to questions about availability because everything is updated live on this calendar HERE: https://firstname.lastname@example.org&ctz=America/Vancouver
- When you have chosen your dates you will send all of the following at the same time:
1. An email responding to this auto-reply just to show that you have read through it all!
2. An e-transfer to email@example.com with full payment of the booking, and
3. A text to Kat Single-Dain at 604 700 8528 with the dates, times and name of the booking.
- Your booking is not confirmed without payment. We do not offer holds and operate on a first come first serve basis.
- You will receive a door code the day before your booking. If you do not receive a door code by the morning of your booking, then please text or call Kat at 604 700 8528.
-The door code is used to get in and out of the studio.
- When you leave the studio you must text Kat at 604 700 8528 just to confirm that the door is locked. We have had 3 separate issues with renters forgetting to lock the door and so we've had to include this as a policy moving forward. There is a penalty of $30 for not texting at the end of your booking to confirm that the door is locked, because this means that an on-call staff of the DFC must come down to the studio to confirm this in person, as we cannot risk leaving the studio open and vulnerable to theft moving forward.
-Anyone renting the studio must send a quick email after reading this to confirm that they have read over all of the rules and agree to them. Thanks!
That's it!! You made it! Thank you so much for reading the whole document and now you have all the info!
Kat Single-Dain and the DFC team!
We wish to acknowledge that we gratefully live and work on the unceded territory of the Coast Salish peoples–The Sḵwx̱wú7mesh/Squamish, Stó:lō and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Tsleil-Waututh and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm/Musqueam Nations. We aim to be good stewards of this land and bring people together through the practice of theater, dance, comedy and art.