CELEBRATING 10 YEARS!!!
A Mini Black-Box Rehearsal Theatre in
Vancouver's Beautiful Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood
REHEARSE, REFINE, PLAY
Book our newly-renovated studio
for your next event!
Perfect for shows, band performances, workshops, and more!
Now Taking Reservations
Sprung Wood Dance Floor
Full-Length Mirror (6 ft. tall x 15 ft. wide)
All New Lighting
New Entrance and Dedicated
The Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret Society is proud to announce the opening of a new mini black box rehearsal theatre in Vancouver's beautiful Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood. The studio is open for rentals and other opportunities. Contact us for more information or to book a rental.
Disco LED stage floor (these cost thousands to rent on their own!)
Behringer Snake for Instruments
Track Lighting and Simple Theatrical Lighting
Wheelchair Accessible Space and Washroom
WANT TO BOOK OUR LIGHT-UP FLOOR FOR YOUR NEXT EVENT?
Cost: $800 for an evening rental
-When you rent our light-up floor, we drop it off at your location if it's within Vancouver.
-We will set up the floor any time after noon on the day and pick it up by 1 am (pickup after 1 am will have an extra charge)
-Every event is different, so if you need a different time, contact us and let's talk about it!
See the floor in action!
Greetings from the Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret Studio!
We are so happy that you found us. Below is a LOT of information to get through but if you are interested in renting here, this is everything you need to know!! Availability Calendar link HERE.
Available Bookings fall into 3 Categories:
1. "STUDIO RENTALS"
This is a rental of the floor space without use of the stage or bar.
2. "EVENT RENTALS"
This is a rental that includes the stage, bar, more lights+sound options, and a DFC staff member
3. "PERMITTED EVENT RENTALS"
According to the City bylaws, any activity of 30 people or more requires a permit. To inquire please give us a call at 604-700-8528. Our criteria and rates for anything involving more than 30 people are not listed anywhere within this information below so you must talk to us directly for more information.
Studio Rentals during Business Hours:
- Business hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm
- Bookings may be made during these hours for $20/hour
- Business hour bookings at $20/hour are not fully private bookings. The curtain can be closed between the Wood Floor space where you are renting, and the Lobby. Up to 4 DFC staff may be working in a reasonably quiet way in either the Lobby or the Mezzanine during your booking.
- If you would like to book private bookings during business hours, that is available for $25/hour. With private bookings, no one will enter the studio during your time. Please just make note of that option when you send the text to confirm your booking.
Studio Rentals during Evenings and Weekends:
- These are any hours that are NOT Monday to Friday 9-5pm
- Bookings may be made during these hours for $25/hour for non-private rental (up to 5 DFC contractors may enter the space and work simultaneously), and $30/hour for private rental (no one will enter the studio during your time).
Studio Rentals include access to the following:
- The existing wood floor space, surrounded by black curtains (wheelchair accessible)
- The bathroom and wheelchair-accessible path to the bathroom
- Access to all the folding chairs and tables.
- Multiple Bluetooth speakers that you can connect to
- Lights that are controlled by switches on the wall in the rentable space
Studio Rentals do NOT include access to anything else in the space, including:
- The Upper Mezzanine level
- Costumes or Props (Please note that if you would like to rent costumes or props, we welcome this! Contact us directly to talk about that)
- The Bar
- Any lights aside from the ones that are controlled by the switches on the walls.
Studio Rental and Event Rental Capacity:
- Capacity for these rentals is 30 people maximum including all bodies in the space.
-Again, contact us to talk about the options for any greater capacity.
Weeknight Events (Sunday - Thursday) - $200
Weekend Events (Friday, Saturday) - $250
-Perfect for intimate gatherings and shows! Please note the 30-person limit.
- Event rentals are assumed to be private bookings and no other parties will enter the space except for the DFC staff members who are helping you.
-With our Event Rentals package, you get access to The Stage, The Bar, the light up Disco LED dance floor, more lighting options, our sound system with 32 channels, and a DFC staff member who will set up the space to your liking upon arrival.
-The Event Rentals package includes 4 hours of time, from 6 pm-10 pm. If you need more time to set up or load out, you can book additional time at $25 per hour.
There are 3 options for use of The Bar:
-Drinks can be for sale for your guests with all the proceeds going to the Dusty Flowerpot.
-The DFC can provide drinks free of charge to your guests for a fee of $8 per drink.
-You may also use your own bartender and keep all bar income for a $100 charge. A valid Serving It Right certificate and liquor license is required and must be sent to us 2 weeks before the event.
PERMITTED EVENT RENTALS
Note that we are interested in hearing your ideas for events. Permitted events could either be a straight forward rental, or a co-production with the DFC. Get in touch to discuss!
House Keeping Notes Applicable to All Rentals:
- 10 pm is the Building Quiet Hour. We cannot make noise after 10 pm according to the building rules. Talking outside of our unit is prohibited after 10 pm. Being present and working quietly in the studio is okay after 10 pm, but any amplified music or groups talking loudly is not permited. If you are renting after 10 pm you will have to talk to Kat directly on the phone to ensure that this is understood.
-While acting and expression are welcomed and encouraged, the studio must balance this with respect for the neighbours, as they can often hear through the walls. Because of this, and to avoid neighbour complaints, and excessive or frequent yelling or music played above 85 db is not permitted.
-The Dusty Flowerpot Studio is housed in a residential building. As such, residential entitlement to "quiet enjoyment" is a priority. The responsibilities of event organizers include minimizing noise impact on neighbours, including making sure that the noise levels comply with City of Vancouver Noise Control By-Law 6555. All event activities must take place inside the building with no loud talking in the evening hours directly outside our unit.
- No smoking is allowed directly outside our unit. You must go for a walk down the alley or street.
- If any of these rules are broken it will threaten the continuation of our operations at the beloved DFC studio and so it is extremely important to us that these rules are strictly followed, and any breaking of these rules will result in not being permitted to rent from us again. The strata levees fines of $200 for breaking any building rules so if any of the building's rules are broken by renters the DFC would be forced to impose this fine on the renter. Please note these are not rules that we want to impose. They are rules that we must operate under to ensure the longevity of our lease. If all renters operate within these rules then all will be fine!
-There's a minimum booking fee of $100 each time you book, which can of course cover multiple dates and times. All dates and times that you are booking must be sent at the same time as your payment, as we do not "bank" any hours. If your booking doesn't come up to $100 then the minimum booking fee will need to be paid instead.
Note: The $100 dollar is a minimum booking and not an extra charge on top of your rental booking.
- We do not book in blocks of time that are less than 1 hour in length.
- Increments of 15 minutes are not permitted. Bookings must start and end on either an hour or a half hour of the clock. For example 2:15pm is not a booking time, but 2:30pm is!
- If you have breaks of one hour or less between your bookings then the time in between bookings must be added to your total.
- Entering the space before your booking begins, or staying in the space after your booking ends is not allowed because there may be other users in the space before and after you. Of course if everyone doesn't mind, then we don't mind, but please don't assume, and please don't enter before your booking begins. For example, this means that if a program you are running begins at 6:30 pm, and you would to be able to enter the space before your program begins to get settled or let your participants inside then you will need to start your booking at 6 pm, because entering at 615 pm is not permitted for a 630 pm booking.
If you have never seen the DFC Studio before:
- You must see the space BEFORE you book, to know that it meets your needs, and that you like it!
- One key aspect that we need any renters to understand is that because of the on-going work in the space, it is not free and clear of smells or dust. It is literally the Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret, and while it will work for most people, if anyone has allergies then it will likely not work for them.
- The floor space may need to be swept before you use it, as we only clean on a biweekly schedule and so renters may need to sweep periodically.
- The way to view the space is to come in on Tuesday evening between 7 and 10 pm. These are open hours to see the space, and it will only take about 5 minutes to see all of it. It is drop-in only and we will not respond to messages asking to solidify the time. You will ask for Kat Single-Dain at the door when you arrive.
- The address is 2050 Scotia Street, and you must enter through the NORTH ALLEYWAY, beside the Loading Zone. Our door is the only glass door in the area.
-Both the studio and studio bathroom are wheelchair accessible.
- All bookings are final. We do not offer any refunds or booking changes at this time.
- We keep our rates low by minimizing backend administration on the rentals management. Our goal is to keep the studio accessible, and minimizing the cost of administration is one way in which we can ensure that. As such, only book when you are really ready, as there are no changes or refunds offered.
- If you do not need a booking you have made, sending a text to 604 700 8528 to let us know is very much appreciated. Thanks!
How to Book:
- Follow this link to view the calendar below to see what times are available. We will not respond to questions about availability because everything is updated live on this calendar HERE
- When you have chosen your dates you will send all of the following at the same time:
1. An email responding to this auto-reply just to show that you have read through it all!
2. An e-transfer to email@example.com with full payment of the booking, and
3. A text to Kat Single-Dain at 604 700 8528 with the dates and times of your booking, your name and if your booking is private or not private.
- Your booking is not confirmed without payment. We do not offer holds and operate on a first come first serve basis.
- You will receive a door code the day before your booking. If you do not receive a door code by the morning of your booking, then please text or call Kat at 604 700 8528.
-The door code is used to get in and out of the studio.
- When you leave the studio you must text Kat at 604 700 8528 just to confirm that the door is locked. We have had 3 separate issues with renters forgetting to lock the door and so we've had to include this as a policy moving forward. There is a penalty of $30 for not texting at the end of your booking to confirm that the door is locked, because this means that an on-call staff of the DFC must come down to the studio to confirm this in person, as we cannot risk leaving the studio open and vulnerable to theft moving forward.
-Anyone renting the studio must send a quick email after reading this to confirm that they have read over all of the rules and agree to them. Thanks!
**A special note about rentals from October 1 to November 15 only **
The Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret Society is the chosen nonprofit society to run this studio by the City of Vancouver because we produce The Parade of Lost Souls festival. It is part of our lease and our service agreement with the City of Vancouver. As such, during October and the first half of November the parade must be prioritized over all other activities. During this period, the studio is still available for rentals, however, the situation is distinct from other times in the year. While the bulk of the floor space will be kept clear, there will be production materials and supplies stored in the rental area along the edges of the space. There may also be additional dust tracked in during this time because of increased traffic. If you require a very clean and clear space, then we do NOT recommend renting during this time. However, if this works for you, then we welcome rentals during the Parade of Lost Souls production!
That's it!! You made it! Thank you so much for reading the whole document and now you have all the info!
Kat Single-Dain and the DFC team!
We wish to acknowledge that we gratefully live and work on the unceded territory of the Coast Salish peoples–The Sḵwx̱wú7mesh/Squamish, Stó:lō and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Tsleil-Waututh and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm/Musqueam Nations. We aim to be good stewards of this land and bring people together through the practice of theater, dance, comedy and art.